Saturday, 20 May 2017

Writer Interview: Katie Lewington

Our writer interview this week is with Katie Lewington! Katie appeared in the Peeking Cat Anthology 2016, and we reviewed her poetry chapbook Put Me Down, I’m Terrible in Issue 19 last October.

When and why did you first start writing?
As soon as I learnt to write as a toddler. I have no idea why, but I fell in love with creating stories, and getting them on paper.   

Who is most supportive about your writing?
I should say my partner, but he spends most of the time frowning, and telling me he has no idea what any of it means!   

What do you enjoy writing, and what do you find yourself writing about most often?
I enjoy writing poetry. Most often mental health, taking the mickey out of myself, or odd thoughts. Like what if a butterfly was actually butter that could fly?

Where do you write? Do you have a writing space or a particular process/routine?
In my flat I have a nice spot on the floor, next to the plug socket where my devices are normally charging. That's where I write. For whatever reason, I can't get comfortable on a chair, I fidget, and the desk is covered in rubbish. Editing, I am usually curled up on my unmade bed.    

What’s your favourite word?
I like my last name, because nobody has a clue how to spell it, and auto correct has a field day with it!    

What do you find the most difficult or challenging about writing?
Promoting it. I've no problem actually writing, as I am always thinking, and imagining. Promoting though, how do you get people to care?   

Tell me about the piece of work that you are most proud of writing, or about the writing accomplishment you are most proud of.
I'm proud of my two collections of poetry I have self-published. Both of them were put together when life outside of writing wasn't great, but I still managed to get them out into the world.    

What are your writing plans, goals or dreams for the future?

I think keep on going is the plan. Keep writing, keep getting the writing published, keep making friendships. Actually I should think of some goals. That's a plan!


Would you like to take part in an interview for the Peeking Cat blog? Email editor@peekingcatpoetry.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment