Monday, 6 February 2017

Writer Interview: Jake Tringali

Hi all! We're back with a new writer interview -this time with Jake Tringali! Read on to find out about this previous Peeking Cat contributor, and the diverse experiences that inspire his writing.




When and why did you first start writing?
I started writing 3 years ago, at the insistence of a few good friends.  I owe them a debt of gratitude, and whiskey.

What was favourite book as a child?
Neuromancer by William Gibson

What do you enjoy writing, and what do you find yourself writing about most often?
Another writer described my work as seeing the 'hidden' or 'taboo' things in society.  I've written about mosh pits, thirteen-course tasting menus, and burlesques.  I've written about the hidden letters of the alphabet, the ones after x, y, and z.  Lately, I've been interested in themes that fall under 'future fiction' or 'apocalyptic'.

Where do you write? Do you have a writing space or a particular process/routine?
My creative process develops on trains, late night at restaurants, and in between errands.  The actual act of writing tends to be after late-night shifts.  I write on my laptop, with some video in the background to help with inspiration.  I recently wrote a poem titled "Dear Humanity" while watching old Monkees episodes.

What’s your favourite word?
"Subcutaneous".  Also, "butt". 

What do you find the most difficult or challenging about writing?
I get sidetracked by other creative projects, like recording music, or perfecting a roast duck, or getting into a shrimp-eating contest with my roommates.  This takes away from my writing time, but hot damn, it feeds my inspiration.

Tell me about the piece of work that you are most proud of writing, or about the writing accomplishment you are most proud of.
I'm most proud of the fact that for the past three years, I've had incredible opportunities to enjoy life by saying 'YES' to the right people at the right times.  My muses would make you jealous.

What are your writing plans, goals or dreams for the future?

The future and my dreams: Keep life weird.  Play on stage with a punk band.  Play onstage with Parliament Funkadelic.  Win a dessert contest at a local festival.  Connect a stationary bike to an ice cream churner.  Surround myself with artists, and promote their work.  Live like a rock star.  Play the long con.

Would you like to take part in an interview for the Peeking Cat blog? Email editor@peekingcatpoetry.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment